Gymnastics, Classes, Events & More
Recipes for Tiny Tumblers: 5 Recipes to Fuel Gymnasts Through School and Practice
As school starts up again, it’s important your little ones are fueling up enough to get through the school day and gymnastics practice!
It is important for kids to get enough protein, healthy fats, and carbs before working out and having fun. During workouts, your muscles use the glucose from carbohydrates for quick energy, healthy fats for long-lasting energy, and protein to increase athletic performance and muscle building.
For no stomach aches, aim to have them eat about 1-2 hours before gymnastics.
The days are sure to get busy, here are a few quick, healthy snacks and meal recipes that your kids will love! Measure with the heart here, these recipes are forgiving and easy to throw together!
1. Hidden Veggie Pasta
This recipe is very forgiving and perfect for using up the veggies in your fridge!
- Turn on your oven to 400F
- Add roughly chopped veggies to a parchment-lined baking sheet. (Throw whatever you have in! I have used Tomatoes, Carrots, Onion, Bell Pepper, and Zucchini and it turned out great)
- Add oil of choice, salt, pepper, and garlic to the veggies and mix. (Garlic can be in any form, mashed, whole, chopped, etc.)
- Bake for 40 minutes
- While baking, boil water and make pasta of choice. (Lentil pasta is great for added protein and fiber)
- Put cooked veggies in a blender and blend. You can add additional spices, milk, cream, greek yogurt, or whatever you would like at this point.
- Pour over pasta, and you’re done!
This recipe is jam-packed with healthy fats, carbs, and fiber! Adding milk, cream, or Greek yogurt will add some protein!
2. Protein Waffles
This recipe is one of my favourites, a healthy and fun way to get some protein in! They are perfect for breakfast, and can be made ahead for an afternoon snack.
- Blend oatmeal to make oat flour. You can also use AP flour here.
- Add to mixing bowl. Mix in egg, greek yogurt, a bit of oil, preferred milk, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and sweetener of choice. Applesauce, mashed banana, and honey work well here.
- Pour into a greased waffle iron. Add chocolate chips here!
- Top with whatever they prefer! Peanut butter is a good option for some added protein.
3. Peanut Butter Banana Rolls
This is the quickest recipe for those busy days. It is super simple, while still getting the nutrients to get your little ones through the day! These are perfect for breakfast on the go.
- Grab a tortilla.
- Spread peanut butter over one side of the tortilla. Add cinnamon and honey if desired.
- Add banana to the tortilla. Roll up like a burrito.
- Eat as is, or cut into pieces (a bit like sushi slices)
Protein and healthy fats come from the peanut butter, carbohydrates, and fiber from the banana and tortilla! A surprisingly balanced, super quick snack that kids just love!
4. Protein Breakfast Muffins
These next two recipes call for protein powder! Any flavour will work, but vanilla will work best.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- To a mixing bowl, add and mix 2 scoops protein powder, baking powder, and your flour of choice (AP Flour, almond flour, oat flour all work well!)
- Add a big scoop of peanut butter, some greek yogurt, and a sweetener of choice, like apple sauce, a mashed banana, or pumpkin puree & pumpkin pie spice for a fun, fall recipe!
- Mix in chocolate chips
- Pour into muffin mold, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean! (About 12 minutes)
These stay good for days, and are a perfect addition to school lunches, quick breakfasts, or pre-gymnastics snacks!
5. Protein Smoothie
This is a perfect recipe that your little ones are guaranteed to love! To make a smoothie a more balanced meal, check out these small changes:
- Add frozen fruit and liquid as normal.
- Add a scoop of protein powder and/or a scoop of greek yogurt for added protein
- Add a scoop of frozen spinach for some hidden veggies
- Add a scoop of almond butter or peanut butter for added protein and healthy fats
We hope you enjoy these easy, healthy recipes! Having them in your back pocket will help fuel your kid for an awesome, busy day, and leave you with a bit less stress!
Join Our Newsletter for Updates, Promotions, Kids Activities & More
Stay in the loop, join our Monthly Newsletter–the Pacific West Times. It features updates on our Classes, Camps, Teams, Local Kids Activities, Special Promotions and much more – Learn More & Subscribe
Kids Birthday Parties, Now Booking
Celebrate with action-packed fun! Party activities may include obstacle courses, relay races, trampoline bouncing, tumble-trak hopping, rope swings and age games for all ages. Our staff handles the details so you can enjoy your child’s special day, stress-free!
Pacific West Gymnastics Promo Products by Your Promo Pros
Pacific West Gymnastics partners with Your Promo Pros for promotional products and campaigns! Connect with your customers and achieve your marketing goals–promote your business with branded products and campaigns. Your Promo Pros will transform your brand and logo it into a thoughtful gift for any occasion – company retreats, blood drives, holidays, and more.
About Pacific West Gymnastics
Pacific West Gymnastics, with locations in Union City and Fremont, is a sporting facility that offers Preschool and Toddler Gymnastics, Boys and Girls Recreational Gymnastics, Trampoline & Tumbling, Girls Competitive Team Programs plus Seasonal & Summer Camp Programs. Request a Free Tour online.
We also do Birthday Parties!